University of Girona » Overview of the Institution
The University of Gerona is a public institution which aims for "excellence in teaching and research, and which takes part in social progress and development through the creation, transmission, dissemination and criticism of science, techniques, humanities, social sciences and the arts".
The predecessor of the centre can be considered the "General School", created in 1446 by King Alfonso the Magnanimous, who gave the Gerona the right to grant qualifications in diverse specialist areas such as rhetoric, philosophy or medicine.
The more recent history of the University of Gerona goes back to the School of Teacher Training and the initiatives put into place in the 1960s in order to reinstate university studies in Gerona. In 1991 the regional government issued a decree creating the new University of Gerona, a benchmark institution given its multi-disciplinary range of courses.
The University of Gerona has three campuses (Montilivi, Old Town and Centre). The Montilivi campus comprises new buildings and an architectural beauty based on open spaces; the Old Town campus consists of refurbished historical buildings forming part of the historical heritage of the city; and the Centre campus is located around the former Teachers' School, refurbished and converted into the headquarters of two educational institutions.
The main address of the University of Gerona is:
Universitat de Girona
Plaça Sant Domènec, 3
Edifici Les Àligues